Friday, November 6, 2009

Liz is Coming, Liz is Coming.......


I am so excited! This weekend I get to go see Liz Curtis Higgs. She is actually coming to Saskatchewan. Ever since I found out she was coming our way, I have been sooooooo excited. I had to go see her. She will be speaking at a woman's conference that is held annually in Saskatoon, Woman's Journey of Faith. I am a little sad that I don't get to go Friday night (the baby wouldn't last the night). But I do get to go Saturday and hear her speak and minister to all the woman in attendance.

When I first became a Christian 9 years ago, the first Christian book I ever read, or wanted to read, was Bad Girl of the Bible. I didn't know there were any Bad Girls in the Bible. The woman of the Bible that I knew were Eve and Mary and Mary and Mary and Martha, and Moses' family thanks to the Ten Commandments. There was something perverse about the title that intrigued and called to me. As a former Bad Girl myself (another post, another day), I wanted to see what her perspective was. I was all ready to see what some Good Girl had to say about Bad Girls. Was I wrong!

As you know, if you have read the book and if not, why not, she starts off telling a story about a bad girl in a bad situation. It really called to me as I had been in similar situations. Then she admits that it was her. She really knew where I was coming. That I needed to hear that no matter what bad thing I had done, that I could learn from my mistakes and that I could be forgiven. I loved learning about women like Tamar, Rahab, Jael and the woman at the well. I didn't even know that these woman had existed. The Bad Girls of the Bible was my starting point in reading the Bible and wanting to learn more.

When the second book, Really Bad Girls of the Bible, came out I immediately went out and purchased it. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first one. I then found Liz's books about Jacob, Rose and Leah. I devoured them and loved them. Just before I moved I lent these books out and sadly, never received them back. However, I know that the person I was lending them too needed to hear and embrace the message in the books as I had done when I first read them.

Liz became a hero to me. Someone who knew what it was like to be "bad" and be reformed in grace. I am so excited to meet her finally after all these years that I will probably be floating on cloud 9 for weeks and I'm sure that I will embarrass my friends when we go (sorry Andrea).


4 comments:

Amber Benge said...

I am SO jealous! I want to go see Liz!!

Anonymous said...

Unless you're going to start yelling at her on stage from the balcony, you won't embarrass me! :P

Jocelyn said...

I think that's great that you get to go see her! She has such thought provoking books. Hope you have fun!

Donnetta said...

Oh my goodness... enjoy!!! I've read a few of her books and heard her speak (but only on tape. Never in person!)

Would enjoy to hear any nuggets of truth you gain from your weekend when you return!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel