Thursday, August 2, 2012

Caffeinated Randomness - Just the Way I am

Photobucket

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. (1 Peter 3:3-4 NIV84)
If you are part of a Good Morning Girls group you will recognize this verse.  It was one of the verses to SOAP this week.   At first glance I realized that I had already done SOAP on this verse about a month ago and wasn't going to redo it.  However, God wanted to tell me something new this week.

Lately, I have been feeling rather large.  That's right large.  The weight I lost earlier this year has somehow returned with extra.  As a result I've felt ugly, depressed, ....ok I'll say it, disgusting.  Why?  Because everyday I'm inundated with images of what beauty should be.

Our world places extreme emphasis on beauty.  It is a multibillion dollar industry focused on clothes, make up, hair, diets, training, etc....  We look at ourselves and compare ourselves with women who are photo shopped to look even more perfect than what we think they are.  We starve ourselves; run ourselves ragged; and cut ourselves in the chase of an extreme that is unattainable.  In fact even if we attain it, its still not enough.  People continue to starve themselves to keep thin and to get thinner.  People keep seeing plastic surgeons after having something small done until what they look like is nothing like what they started with.  Satan has us where he wants us.  We've bought into the lie that perfection is within our grasp if we only work for it or buy it.

God tells us a different truth.  We are already beautiful.  He created us the way we were supposed to be made.  We are each "fearfully and wonderfully made."  God didn't make us to look like each other.  He loves variety.  He loves colour.  He loves shapes.  He loves youth and age.  He created us and He doesn't make mistakes.

What I've been focusing on is what everyone else focuses on - our outsides.  But God doesn't really worry about that unless it's affecting our health.  What God worries about is our insides.  The Message calls us to "cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God loves."  God wants us to be kind and full of grace.  He wants us to help those who need help.  To be forgiving as He is.  To love and help our neighbours no matter what.  To be a reflection of Him here on earth.

We need to "cultivate" this by 1st working on our relationship with Him with as much energy and enthusiasm as we give the latest diet or exercise trend.  We need to be in the word daily learning more about Him.  We need to be in prayer, strengthening our relationship as much as we do with our friends.  We need to be in tuned with the Spirit who will direct us the way we should go.

I know in my mind the way God sees me.  I just need to get my heart on line with this.  God sees and loves me for me.  Just like Darcy in "Bridgette Jone's Diary".  He "loves me just the way I am."  Not skinner, prettier, funnier, or smarter.  Me.  Just the way I am.  He only wants me to be closer to Him.  Why wouldn't I want to when He thinks I am a perfect 10.

Come share your randomness just the way you are.

0 comments:

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel