Friday, January 25, 2013

Caffeinated Randomness - In the Word Campaign


 photo CIMG2107-1-1-1.jpg

Lately I've been looking to the right side of me at church.  I've been looking to the left side of me.  I've been looking to the people in front of me.  If I could, I would look behind me.  I'm not looking to see what they're wearing.  I'm not looking to see if they're listening to the sermon or sleeping.  I'm not looking to see if their kids are sitting still or wiggling around.  I'm looking to see if anyone else is opening their Bible.  If anyone else is looking at the Word while our pastor is preaching.  Has anyone else brought their own Bible and are they marking it up?  Is our "overhead" dependent society (thanks Evil Twin for that one) become so complaisant that they no longer bring their Bibles to church or even open the ones offered in the pews because it's up on the big screen?  

I'm not judging, but this is something that has been bothering me.  I mean if they are not opening their Bibles at Church are they opening their Bibles at home?  It's something that I think about.  I'm not pointing fingers and not saying because I bring my Bible to Church that am I holier than those who do not.  I never grew up in the Church.  I didn't have any one in my life that read the Bible or knew the word.  I'm surprised sometimes how I always felt called to God.  He definitely had me in the palm of His hand.  So the questions are if we aren't in the word, how do we knew what we are called to do?  How are we to learn His ways?  How are we to teach the next generation about Him and His purpose for our life?  I believe the same questions I have,  have been hanging over the leadership of our church, as well.  Our church will be participating during lent in the Saddleback church study - 40 Days in the Word.



Now I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Pastor Rick Warren.  I participated in the Purpose Driven Life a few years ago.  There was some information that was quite good, but I did question some of His teaching.  (Don't ask me what they were, I don't remember).   This is the summary of the campaign from the 40 Days in the Word website:  

Together with Rick Warren and Saddleback Church you’ve experienced 40 days of Purpose, Love and Community. Now come along with Rick on a journey of 40 Days in the Word, a journey of eternal significance as you and your church will learn how to be not only a “hearer” of the Word, but also a “doer” of God’s Word. 

40 Days in the Word is a church wide weekly study of six principles of the Word of God. Together with Rick, the Saddleback Team and great pastors from across the country you and your church will explore the authenticity, reliability, power, comfort, interpretation and doing of God’s Word. This eight week journey, led by Rick Warren, will encourage spiritual growth in every member of your church.

I am excited though about this study.  I'm excited that our congregation is being encouraged to spend the 40 days of Lent in the word of God.  Being encouraged to study the Word daily.  That is what He wants.  He wants us to focus on His Word.  In conjunction with my Church's participation with the 40 Days in the Word campaign and my participation with it, I will be focusing Caffeinated Randomness on the 40 Days in the Word starting February 15.  I might call it the Caffeinated in the Word campaign.  It has a good ring to it.  Every week I will blog about were God has been leading me in this Campaign and probably post some of the questions from the work book.  If you would like to join me, let me know.  

Now if you still want to link in during that time with good ol'wholesome randomness - bring it on.  I love reading everyone's randomness.  I love seeing God working within you.  I, many times, learn so much from you all.  You make me laugh and cry.  

Come link into the randomness this week and share God's work in your life.



2 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for this post. I saw you looking in church :-) And, OK ... no I took not my own Bible with me in church because we have this year an other bible-translation. I take always te church-bible from the shelf in the church and all brothers and sisters are reading in their bibles :-) in church. Because we haven't a big screen. And about bible-study: we have a FB-group and are studying about Luke in Dutch. ( Good Morning Girls) Thats great. Groetjes!

Laurie Collett said...

Amen! Preach it, girl! How can we know Him if we don't read His Word? Thanks for the great post & for hosting & God bless!
Laurie

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel