Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lost n Found Book Club - Good Wife's Guide

I know I always say I'm bringing it back and then never write about books again.  One of my personal goals with the blog has always to do book reviews of either new or old books that I have read that have either inspired me or made me questions things.  I love to read and do read a lot.  I just can't seem to find the time to blog about them.....must be reading too much.


Earlier this year I was privileged to receive a copy of the Good Wife's Guide by Darlene Schacht, from the Time Warped Wife.  I know, I should have reviewed it way back then.  I just didn't seem to find the time to read it until summer vacation and only now am I able to write a review of it.  (Sorry, Darlene).  

I really enjoyed this book.  It was quick and simple to read.  It made me think a lot about my role in my marriage and my job as a stay at home wife and mother.  It encouraged me in what I have been doing and also encouraged me to re think some things that I do.  I appreciate that Darlene does not get involved in the working mom and the stay at home mom.  I appreciate her value of both moms.  It is too easy to point fingers at each other and Darlene never does this.  She does ask what our motivations are for both though. 

I also enjoyed the fact that she did not preach to me in her book.  Earlier this year I purchased a book that was supposed to get me out of thinking organization and into Christ.  It turns out it was more of a cleaning guideline book.  It made me more stressed than I already was.  Darlene does have some cleaning tips in her book as well she shares how she deep cleans areas in her house.  Never does Darlene say you should do it her way.  She always advocates that this works for her and if you want, to try it. 

I never felt while reading her book that I was doing it wrong or she had all the answers.  I felt like I was sitting in her home and talking to her about what works for her and what doesn't.  When she talks she always focuses on God and His guidance in our marriage, our families and our homes.  That is what it comes downs to - God and His expectations and guidance, not the worlds or our own dreams.  

I would definitely recommend this book.  At no time did I feel deficient in what I was doing and at no times did Darlene ever demean others for their decisions.  She simply guides us to realize that we are called to better through God.  

I am linking up with the Cozy Book Hop this week at the Reading List.

2 comments:

Renee C. said...

I have the opposite problem - too much blogging, not enough reading! lol This book sounds really interesting. I'm visiting from the Cozy Book Hop. Cheers!

Marissa Writes said...

I've been wanting to read this book, but alas the job of mommyhood take up too much time. I'm so glad you got this post up and join in our hop! I can't wait to hear more about what books you read...

Marissa
http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel