Friday, October 1, 2010

Caffeinated Randomness - Tag Your It!!

I want to thank you all for your awesome comments last week.  I was a little hesitant as to whether to put my testimony out there, but now I am very thankful I did.  You ladies continue to show me God's grace and love every day.  

This week I worked on a new grab box for Caffeinated Randomness:

Photobucket

Don't you love it.  I was going to use a picture of a mug the Babes and I purchased for Andrea.   However, the more and more I thought of it, the more I wanted to use one of my favourite mugs.  As you can see it holds a LOT of coffee.  Most importantly, it has a powerful message - "I'm Not WONDER WOMAN, but GOD MADE ME WONDERFUL!"  I purchased this mug 4 years ago at the Women of Faith conference.  It was the topic of Sheila Walsh's speech that day, as well as the title of her book  I saw the mug and knew I had to have it.  It even came with a matching bag.  The mug is well used and little chipped and cracked, just like me.  I'm not perfect.  I've been through a lot of messes and spills.  I'm chipped, but not broken.  I'm well loved by a God who made me and said it was VERY GOOD (Genesis  1:31 NIV). 

Last week, Bobbi of Blogging Along (I love the alliteration), challenged us to answer 8 questions and then to make 8 of our own.  So I will answer the 8 questions this lovely lady gave us and then challenge all of you to answer my 8 questions.  Here are my answers:

1.  What is your favorite childhood story and why?

This is a tough one.  I loved stories and didn't really have an absolute favourite.  It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I could define what my favourite book was.  I know my favourite book when I was young was a compilation of old stories - Cinderella, Princess and the Pea, Cobbler and the Elves, Rapunzel and the Ugly Duckling.  I loved this book.  Not for the stories, but for the pictures.  It was done with the same animation used in the old Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer TV special (stop motion).  I loved the costumes all the female characters had on and used to draw them on paper and always hoped that my wedding dressed looked as beautiful as Cinderella's (very baroque).

2.  What christian book, other than the Bible, has deeply affected you lately?
It would be and Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers.  What an eye opening experience about the church in North America and the possibilities of what could occur if we don't first ask God what His will is and go down our own path and make concessions.

3.  What was your Pastor's sermon on last week??
I honestly don't know.  I was in the Children's Church teaching preschoolers about spreading the word of Jesus.  I'm not sure they understood the entire lesson but we had fun.

4.  Chips or Popcorn?
This one is hard.  I love both.  I would have to say Popcorn probably would win as I always keep it in the house.  It just is the longer process as I air pop it and melt the butter.  Yes, I said BUTTER!  

5.  What is your favorite Christmas cookie?  I'm up for recipes too!!
My favourite Christmas Cookie would be Butterscotch Gingerbread.  You use baked butterscotch pudding in the ingredients.  The cookies are always moist and yummy.  We make them all year round .  The kids refer to them now as Gingy from Shrek.
 
6.  Do you have a favorite chair?  Are you brave enough to share a picture??  At least share why.
In our living room we have two rockers - one is a swivel rocker and the other is just a rocker.   My chair is the rocker.   I read once that as a mom you should stake out a corner of the house where you can go to calm yourself and have 5 minutes of peace.  This is my claim.  I have a basket on the side with my books, magazines, bibles, pens, pencils, fliers, bulletins, etc...and a side table to hold the rest of it.  The kids know this area as the place where mommy prays and reads.  They also know it as the place where mommy reads to them and holds them when they want a cuddle. 



7.  How much (and of what type) CAFFEINATED (or, okay...sigh...decaf) RANDOMNESS do you daily indulge??  (I love Starbucks Verona...about 4 cups a day...iced, espressoed, latted, etc.)
I have at least 2 cups, if not 3 a day.   I have to have the first cup within an hour of being up and then I sip on a few throughout the day.  I have to admit that once the coffee maker is off, I'm not opposed to microwaving a cup to heat it up.  I know you're all cringing while you read this.  I always have milk and sweetener in my coffee so I really don't notice that much of a difference.  If anything, it's a stronger cup of coffee.

8.  How did you choose your childrens' names?
That is quite a story so the short form is as follows:  Nicole was a name that my hubby chose that I didn't mind as long as we NEVER called her Nikki.  Thomas was a name we both liked and was biblical.  Samuel was chosen after Sam Gagner, of the Edmonton Oilers, scored a goal during one of their games.

Here are my questions for you lovely ladies:

1.  Purses/shoes/chocolate - Which could you not live without on a desert island?
2.  What is one habit you do that you've done since you were a child? (ie. bite nails, etc..)
3.  If money was no object, where would you go and what would you do?
4.  As we are currently doing some home renovations while I write this, what is the one thing you wish you could do to your house?
5.   What is the funniest thing one of your children have ever said to you?  (I'll tell you about the X's story one day)
6.  What kind of music do you enjoy, beside Christian music?
7.  What do you do on a Saturday morning?
6.  What is the most significant thing God has done for you?

I can't wait to get to know more about each of you.

9 comments:

Bobbi said...

Since I just did this Meme on my blog...I'll answer yours here..okay? Good...
1. Purses/shoes/chocolate - Which could you not live without on a desert island?
Duh, Chocolate!!
2. What is one habit you do that you've done since you were a child? (ie. bite nails, etc..)
Once a chatterbox...always a chatterbox!
3. If money was no object, where would you go and what would you do?
Take a Jet plane to HI with my Loverbrains!
4. As we are currently doing some home renovations while I write this, what is the one thing you wish you could do to your house?
Redo the screenporch with those nifty sliding screen/window thingers. It protects the screens during the winter and allows for a 4 season room...instead of a 2 season room.
5. What is the funniest thing one of your children have ever said to you? (I'll tell you about the X's story one day)
My husband tries to get our kids to say chemical names (he's a chem. eng)...it annoys my son who says, "DadE we don't got no chemistry!"
6. What kind of music do you enjoy, beside Christian music? Smooth Jazz!
7. What do you do on a Saturday morning?
SLEEP IN!! Woot woot! I always call my grandmother at 9 on Sat. If I don't, she thinks I'm dead!
6. What is the most significant thing God has done for you?
Saved my rotten soul! Praise Him for His amazing love and mercy!!

Annika said...

I'll answer your questions in one of my upcoming post. I loved reading yours. It's popcorn for me too, and real butter, olive oil or coconut oil are our toppings. I think it is wonderful you were teaching little children about spreading Jesus! Have a great weekend!

Michelle said...

Bobbi- I love that you're grandma thinks your dead if YOU don't call HER every Saturday.

Annika - Can't wait to see your list. I'll have to try the olive oil on the popcorn next time.

Unknown said...

1. Purses/shoes/chocolate - Why are chai lattes not on this list?

2. What is one habit you do that you've done since you were a child? fidget -- bouncing my legs up and down -- hey, it burns calories!

3. If money was no object, where would you go and what would you do?
Take my husband to Scotland -- he's been dying to go.

4. As we are currently doing some home renovations while I write this, what is the one thing you wish you could do to your house?
Build a deck. Oh, and a self-cleaning children's wing.

5. What is the funniest thing one of your children have ever said to you? This requires brain power -- I'll have to think later.

6. What kind of music do you enjoy, beside Christian music?
Patty Griffin

7. What do you do on a Saturday morning?
On a good morning, run. On a bad morning, sleep and eat pancakes.

6. What is the most significant thing God has done for you?
Forgiven me.

Pat said...

ok so my answers are
1. Chocolate, who cares what you look like:)
2. I can't think of anything I've done since childhood. I have no follow through:)
3.Visit Missionaries. Start with the ones in our family then people we know.
4.Finish our renos:)
5.something Emily said to Garry. Can't put it on your blog:0
6.80's Headbanger Rock. Yes I am a reformed headbanger, what can I say I grew up in the 80's with big hair.
7.spend time with the kids, no hurry, no plans.
8.saved me, redeemed me, loved me.

Lindsey said...

I finally am able to be back at Caffeinated Randomness! Yay! I missed it last week very much! :) Here are my answers:

1. Purses/shoes/chocolate - Which could you not live without on a desert island?
CHOCOLATE!! (But even more so COFFEE!)
2. What is one habit you do that you've done since you were a child? (ie. bite nails, etc..)
This is kind of gross - but I bite the skin around my nails when I get nervous or anxious
3. If money was no object, where would you go and what would you do?
Go to Fiji and lay in the sun and relax with my husband
4. As we are currently doing some home renovations while I write this, what is the one thing you wish you could do to your house?
Get the one we are trying to buy and actually fix up a lot!
5. What is the funniest thing one of your children have ever said to you? (I'll tell you about the X's story one day)
Still waiting to have my kids but the funniest thing my dog-kid does is in the mornings my husband lets him out of their sleeping cage and he sprints in our room, up on the bed and jumps on me wagging his tail with a toy in his mouth...every single morning. Makes me feel very loved!
6. What kind of music do you enjoy, beside Christian music?
Anything fun
7. What do you do on a Saturday morning?
Sleep in with my husband
6. What is the most significant thing God has done for you?
1)Opened my eyes to Himself & saved me, and 2) bringing Derek (my husband) into my life
Can't wait to hear your answers! :)

Michelle said...

Jen - Coffee or any lattes are just a given. ;)

Pat - We must get together so that you can tell me about Emily's comment.

Lindsey - I just realized that I will have to give you my answers. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Well, wasn't that just fun to read! I will post my answers next week!

Love the mug and love your analogy - I am chipped and cracked, too, girl, and PROUD OF IT!

The chips and cracks make us beautiful, you know...:)

Have a wonderful weekend, sweet Michelle.

Donnetta said...

I can relate to not knowing the sermon of the day because of teaching the preschoolers. That's where I found myself today. The finer details of David and Goliath. :-)

I also love the idea of your "mommy" chair! Not only that they know that is a place you meet with God, but they are also welcomed in for special time with you. Love that!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History