Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lost and Found Book Club - Unplanned

Photobucket

Last summer I tried to start an on line book club where we would read and review books that we had stacked on our bookshelves.  Those gems that we were drawn to, recommended to, or given that we haven't read.  I know I have a stack of them.  Unfortunately, I only had one person who was interested so I gave up the idea.  However, God has been leading me to re-evaluate the Lost and Found Book Club. 

I believe my guiding to the book club was to share my love of books with everyone.  I read constantly.  I read for pleasure and knowledge.  I also have very eclectic reading habits.  So what do I do with it.  I have felt God telling me to share this love, but in another fashion.  Every Thursday, I am going to post about a book that I have recently read - new or old.  Knowing me though it will rarely be one that just came out.  It will most likely be one that has been out for a while.  I rarely buy new books and I usually wait until all the "hoopla" has calmed down reading a popular book so that I can make my own opinions.  The books I read may not all be spiritual, but they will be books that have encouraged me in my walk and push me to those places I don't want to go. 

Which is where my first book took me -  Unplanned by Abby Johnson.


Here is the publisher's description:
Abby Johnson quit her job in October 2009. That simple act became a national news story because Abby was the director of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Texas who, after participating in her first actual abortion procedure, crossed the line to join the Coalition for Life. Unplanned is a heart stopping personal drama of life-and-death encounters, a courtroom battle, and spiritual transformation that speaks hope and compassion into the political controversy that surrounds this issue. Telling Abby's story from both sides of the abortion clinic property line, this book is a must-have for anyone who cares about the life-versus-rights debate and helping women who face crisis pregnancies.
I first heard about this story during the American Presidential Election.  I was intrigued, but never really looked into it further.  Recently while perusing our audio library system, I came across it and decided to look into it.  I knew this book was endorsed by Focus on the Family, but didn't know if it was just a pro-life story or someone's testimony.  It's about both.

I am familiar with her story of being 18 and ideological.  I was raised in a very liberal home.  I was raised being pro choice and that abortion was ok, especially in cases of rape and incest.  I was raised that no one could tell me what to do with my body, that it was mine and mine alone.  These ideas changed when I had my first ultrasound.  My daughter was 13 weeks.  She was fully developed and looked like a little baby, in fact she was sucking her thumb.  She already was active, it took longer for the ultrasound because she was moving around the whole time.   At that time I could have still had an abortion if I had wanted one.  But the pictures shown to me were of a baby.  I wonder how many women on that same date, pregnant for as long as I made a choice that I could and would never make.  I'll admit that rape and incest were still a grey area for me.  That is until I read this book.  Abby (I hope I can call her that) talks about some instances where women she counseled after rape did not abort and gave their babies up for adoption, these women were able to work through their pain.  

This book is also about her own testimony - about forgivness, the power of prayer and redemption.  Abby went from working for Planned Parenthood to Coalition for Life in one day.  This was after 8 years with Planned Parenthood.  It was also after 8 years of prayers from different persons of Coalition for Life and her family.  God worked in her in so many ways, although it took something drastic for her to listen to Him. 

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.  It is not an easy book to read as her story is hard and very visual.  She does not mince words regarding the abortion that changed her life forever.  I think though that it's what God wants her to share with all of us.  Just as the Cross was messy, we need to acknowledge what happened to get the full picture of the gift He's given us. 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have heard of the book, but haven't read it yet.

~Rain``` said...

Keep reading! I am looking forward to when I can read more! Life with little ones can be so hectic.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing! This is on my list to read!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History