Friday, September 9, 2011

Caffeinated Randomness - September 11, 2001: A Surreal Rememberance

Photobucket

Unless you live under a rock, most people know that this Sunday is the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001.  Before these attacks, September 11 was just another normal day.  Nothing note worthy to record.  Now this has been irrevocably changed.  It's has become a day that none of us will forget.

On September 11, 2001, I started the day like I would have any other.  I got up, had a shower and was just getting ready for work before breakfast when the phone rang.  Any other day I would be watching some talk show out of New York, but I was running behind.  The call was from my husband's parents who had flown to Amsterdam the day before.  Mom was letting us know that they had arrived safely but that all of Dad's papers had been stolen at the airport.  We talked for a bit and then I rushed out the door and hit traffic on the way to work.  I was annoyed with the radio as every station had the news on or were saying their prayers were with all New Yorkers.  However, they weren't saying what was happening so I put on a cd.  When I got to work our receptionist was crying and said "We're at war.  They are bombing us."  I was shocked and still trying to figure out what was going on.  

I finally found out what was happening from another co-worker.  I was shocked and amazed.  We changed the radio station to an all news station and listened to what was going on.  We tried to get some up information on the computer, but because we were not the only trying, the servers were slow.  We didn't get a lot of work done that day.  It seemed that all we could think about was what was going on and listening to the planes being flown into Canada and not knowing if one of them had terrorists in control (our offices were very close to the airport).  

I wanted to see what was going on and so decided to go to the local pub with the receptionist during lunch to watch the tv.  As it turned out and not realizing it, the pub was actually a bikini bar.  We stayed anyway as the place was empty and had a huge tv.  We sat there mesmerized on the screen.  It really didn't phase us that the waitress was in only a bikini.   The only thing I was shocked at was watching the people jumping from the buildings before they went down.

When I got home, my husband was already home and had the tv on.   We sat their all night watching the tv wondering what would happen now.  I remember praying for the people who were lost; for the family members that remained and I remember praying for peace. 

Those days after the attacks, everything seemed different.  Our innocence had been robbed.  I was proud of what Canada did in those days by "hosting" the people who needed places to stay while their planes were grounded.   When the planes did get permission to fly, I remember seeing a plane on track to land and I was frightened.  I  had to shake my head and remember that things were back to "normal", what ever that meant now.  I know it took my grandmother 2 years before she would take a plane again.  

At the time I worked with Friendship Ministries at our church.  The "friends" were having a hard time dealing with this.  They couldn't comprehend what was going on or why.  None of us could.  During our prayer night, I remember the "friends" praying for the victims, for the leaders, for the firefighters and police men.  I realized that I hadn't prayed for the terrorists themselves.  I prayed that night for the men who felt that it was necessary to do what they did.  I prayed for the men so filled with hatred.  Where was the person to teach them grace, forgiveness and compassion?  What had happened to them in their lives to feel that this was their only choice?  I often think about that still to this day.  

September 11, 2001 taught us all the consequences of someones anger, fear and loathing.  It taught us about bravery and sacrifice.  It taught us about family, priorities and grace.  September 11 taught us also about hope and rebirth. 


Come and share your memories and other randomness today.

4 comments:

Katharine said...

I too remember not leaving my TV those days...You are right about the things it taught us, about ourselves, our country, and about prayer!

Unknown said...

out of everything, there can be beauty and rebirth, or else, we wouldn't be able to go on...

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

I remember exactly where I was standing and what I was doing when I began watching coverage. It was heart-wrenching.

And yet.

I couldn't agree more with Jen. God DID NOT make this happen but HE will bring ashes to beauty every single time.

Through the lost lives and rubble and anger and sadness and unimaginable loss, we have also seen the beauty of our firefighters and policemen. We recognize on a deeper level how intense terrorism really is and we learned that no matter what happens, you can't take away faith. For those of us who have it, there is no greater comfort.

Thanks for sharing this, Michelle!

Aritha V. said...

In our newspaper were many articles tomorrow about september 11, ten years ago. After 11 september there is a lot terrorist threat in America and Europe. Let us with all our pain and fear look up to Jesus, who always pray for us.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel