Monday, December 20, 2010

Music Monday - Peace on Earth

Peace: 

1. The absence of war or other hostilities.
2. An agreement or a treaty to end hostilities.
3. Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations: roommates living in peace with each other.
4. Public security and order: was arrested for disturbing the peace.
5. Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind.

As you can see, there are many definitions of peace.   When people think of Peace, some think about freedom from war and hostilities.  Some think about reconciliation and hope.  Some think about things that keep us secure and safe in our daily lives.  Others think of the peace that we can feel and be.  

Many people look for it in all the wrong places.  They look for it in external things.  They seek it through meditation and false Gods.  They seek it through the Courts and the Law.  They look to it through military actions.  Where many cease to look for it is through is the only one who can give it. 

This week as we think of Peace, we can focus on Jesus who was born to bring us Peace.  Peace from wars, reconciliation with God, between ourselves and others; the Peace that we take for granted for living in our society and the Peace that passes all understanding that fills our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Phillipians 4:7) - the Peace that only He can give us. 

I'm sharing today the Casting Crowns version of I Heard the Bells.  This song was originally written by Henry W. Longfellow.   He wrote the poem after losing his wife to a unfortunate accident and losing his son in the American Civil War.  He was filled with despair and hopelessness, however, still He looked to God for peace.  The place that we should all look to.



I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Mark Hall, Dale, Bernie Herms

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth good will to men

And the bells are ringing
Like a choir they're singing
In my heart I hear them
Peace on earth, good will to men


And in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men

But the bells are ringing
Like a choir singing
Does anybody hear them?
Peace on earth, good will to men

Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men

Then ringing singing on its way

The world revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men

And the bells they're ringing
Like a choir they're singing
And with our hearts we'll hear them
Peace on earth, good will to men

Do you hear the bells they're ringing?
The life the angels singing
Open up your heart and hear them
Peace on earth, good will to men

Peace on earth, Peace on earth
Peace on earth, Good will to men

I'm linking up today with Shawntele at Saved by Grace on a Christmas Edition of Music Monday.

2 comments:

Judy Dudich said...

Wow, this was very powerful!
Thanks, Michelle!

Donnetta said...

Thank you for the reminder that He Himself is our peace. (Eph. 2:14)

I hadn't heard the story behind this song. Makes the words even that more meaningful.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History