Friday, January 1, 2010

In the Beginning.....


As this year and decade end, I'm looking towards the future.
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14)
This past month I have felt God calling me into a closer relationship with him. I have studied His word in the past, but have never gone into a deeper relationship with Him. My fault, of course. I've been neglecting my prayer life.
Pray continually (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
I pray daily. But honestly, I have to admit that I actually sit down and really pray 3 times a week. Why? I've not prioritized God first in my life.
You shall have no other God's before me. (Exodus 20:3)
I have not studied his word daily.
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. (Deuteronomy 11:18)
In the past, I've been in groups where I've studied on how not to be Martha, Parenting for Dummies and How to be a Good Wife. During these groups, I haven't felt moved. In fact, I have never felt comfortable enough to allow myself to open up to others.

However, in all this I sense a new beginning.

This last week, I've taken advantage of an early riser and have benefited from it. Its been great to start the day with God and see its fruition throughout the day. I take back all the times I said I just couldn't get up at 5:30 am to pray.

My mother-in-law gave me a Devotional Day Planner which has not just a daily devotion, but a Guided Reading Plan of the Bible. I plan to stick to my daily reading schedule and this will be the year that I finish the whole Bible. I will not get stuck in Deuteronomy. In fact, I may even try to do homelitics for each day......like I said the key word is "try."

This coming year, I have, with a group of close friends, organized a bible study. I sense God in this decision and know He is guiding us in to closer relationships with each other and is placing people that will encourage each other to grow.
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. (Acts 2:42)
I have been inspired by Donnetta at My Quiet Corner, to do a word study on something in my walk that I need to work on. I have, and continue to, pray about this. I feel God calling me to do a study on submission. For all of those who know me, even though one of my vows was to obey, know its the one word I consistently struggle against.

I'm excited and scared of how God will work in my life this year. This is the beginning. This is the year God will do a good work in me. This is the year I will surrender to Him and His will in my life.
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you for this coming year! And so thrilled to be a part of that group with you.

Oh, and just so you know, submission isn't one of my stronger points, either! ;)

Simple Home said...

I'm sure you'll love being part of this group, and I'll look forward to hearing what God is doing in your life through this. I'm reading through the Bible too, I didn't do it last year, but did it the year before, and I found I missed it.
Submission is a hard word for almost everyone I know :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Donnetta said...

I am excited for you as you focus on your word for the year.

I have found that as I am faithful to focus, work on and bury my word deep into my soul, God honors that! An adventure to see how God chooses to do that in the coming days...

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Your post really echoed my thoughts this New Year's season...I have been especially convicted to spend more time in the Word and to pray more earnestly for my children and grandchildren!

Happy New Year!

Amanda said...

I've been praying at night (mostly) when I go to bed as I was taught as a child. However, as God continues to call me, help me and support me I've realised like you that I need to find a time during the day as when I have managed to find a quiet moment to be with Him it has really helped.
To help me in my study of The Bible I've put a widget on my blog which does a passage a day and you complete The Bible in a year. Sadly it doesn't come with guidance.
I wish you joy in your study.
BTW I'm totally with you on submission. It is hard.
Blessings,
Amanda x

Cherie said...

I love that you and your friends have organized a bible study.. The church can't meet every need of the believer and non-believer (even though we try so hard too). Forming Bible studies in your neighborhood or with friends is a great way to get into God's Word and grow with one another. I have found there are ladies who will come to this that won't come to church. The good news is they end up going going to church in time!

I pray your study goes well.. Remember, you don't have to be a Bible scholar to teach the Word. You just need to be available and enjoy the challenge..

Blessings to you guys!

Denise said...

i'm interested in knowing more about the daily devotional/bible in a year planner? i have been looking for something just like that but haven't had luck.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History